Thursday, July 22, 2004

Day 4 - Recovery day???? 4000 feet of what?

Coach says today is recovery day since it is on the road.  I am not sure how 4000 feet of climbing can be recovery, but hey he is the coach right?
So I come over Independence Pass heading for Aspen which I am sure will be the source of good internet connectivity based on the tmobile coverage map to take care of some stock business.
There are people on bikes headed up the pass, so since other people look like they are having fun the stock business will just have to wait.  I park around the city limits and change and go. 
It is full on climbing the whole way.  I make the road close gates at 8 miles.  They just close Independence Pass in the winter.  Too hard to keep open. Of course when they used to cross with horses and a sleigh they would do it all winter.  Funny what gold will do to a person.  Of course now this just probably helps keep the riffraff out of Aspen.

Just climbing and climbing.  There is a part of the road where the center stripe is missing because it is to narrow for two cars.  The nice thing about climbing a pass on a bike that you miss in a car is the pretty streams, wildlife and such that are right beside you.  So I have the gurgling start of the Colorado river to keep me company during the climb.

You can see the final pitch from the second to last pitch. It is good and bad since you know you are almost done, but you say “I have to go up there”

I make the switch back for the final pitch and stop a couple of times to rest. A guy on the back of a motor cycle shouts out “Awsome!”.  That is a bit of help. Two guys on a motor cycle?  Hmmm  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I make the top of the pass looking for the cheering crowds and the Arrive banner over the road. Alas it seems then must have packed up long ago and went home.  There are only a couple of bikers cabitzing over there families back in Iowa and their Harleys.

I adjust the brake back since I had let them all the way out since I wanted no dragging during the climb.  I put on the long underwear top for the descent and take off.  I am doing 35 – 37 mph down the first pitch. This happens to be the speed limit so I just take up my lane.  I feel the rear brakes dragging.  So I pull over after the first pitch.  And readjust the right way.  One guy there says “A bit easier that way” I respond with “It sure does make you forget about going the other direction fast”

Mostly just the whir of knobbies for 18 miles.  A couple of sections that slow down to the 20s so I pedal “Faster, faster Daddy”
Maybe hit 40, I make a pretty good air brake with flat bars.  Even on the road bike I can only do high 40s…  Oh well still berry berry fun.

 
Stats
Ride time 3:17
Avg 10.8
35.5 miles
6% grade
4ish k  of climbing

Thought for the day
People sure do miss alot in cars....  Is it a good thing or bad.    The people who give bikes the most space Colorado plates.  The people who give bikes the least. Texas plates.


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home